Thursday, January 15, 2015

Two Dreams

My love affair with craft beer might be coming to an end. Such a seemingly small amount gives me such a bad night. Two hours of hard sleeping followed by insomnia, weird pains, hypochondriac dreams and a pounding heart which is so intense it vibrates and rattles the springs in the mattress. All this for a few hours of "oak in the nose but finishes with nutty sweetness and cherry notes..." If I can't learn what moderation means for a person of my size and constitution, no matter what it looks like to other people, I will end up swearing off one of my passions forever. This is hard to reconcile.

However, the struggle produced two short dreams. In the first I was in a light place. The walls were a calming neutral with white floors and tall windows. If it was a hospital I didn't know at first. Strange humanoids were milling about, but they were not made of skin and bones, Instead they were loosely formed molecules of light that sort of fit into a human-shaped mold with legs and arms and a head. But the lights that composed these beings were constantly circulating with plenty of open space between them, such that they were somewhat transparent. I could see slightly more opaque glowing objects inside their bodies. They seemed to be organs, which were gloriously white.

These people passed through the light room as I watched, making so little noise, so ethereal. I could hear the gentle hum of chatting voices but their footsteps were soft and silent. One was in a rush and I watched it run through a doorway and into the adjacent hall. It ran almost in an energetic slow motion, again, feet barely touching the ground. I peered in at its gloriously white organs. However, something red caught my eye as she ran past. It was an organ in the middle right right of the torso. I suddenly feared for her. She was in such a hurry, she didn't seem to know something was wrong with her, but I was sluggish and she was gone before I could get up. I instantly awoke to a pain in my right side.

Somehow I went back to sleep in spite of the pain, but I awoke only 20 minutes later to this dream: I was still there in the bed, in my room and felt oddly disturbed. I got up, put a sweater on and left my room. I walked down the hallway, turning the corner down the stairs and as I reached the bottom, I thought to open the front door. At first I didn't and headed for the kitchen. I think I was looking for a mouse again, but something made me turn around and go back to the door. The next image was so realistic I can barely tell it apart from reality. As I opened the door, from my left a black cat tramped off the porch and down the front stairs. I had no idea it was there, but it gave me the sense that it was lurking to the left side of the front door and I'd caught it. When I awoke I suddenly had the impression that this cat was probably Death.

No comments:

Post a Comment