Tuesday, January 12, 2010

And Then I Turned Into A Mermaid

They dropped me
From the diving board
That none of them
Dared jump
Plunged me into
The aqua-blue-green
They were so mean.

I drowned for 25 years
And when I came to
I skulked the pool floor
And along the walls
20 fathoms deep and tall
I found an unseemly mistake!
A forgotten crime
Intentionally morbid
Displayed under glass
Set in the concrete mass - a wall!
Only 5 inches tall
The glass perfectly sized
A tiny panda's perfect corpse
A baby blue skeleton's demise.

And then I cried.
At the bottom
Of the swimming pool
The salty sea in my nose
And mouth, the tears
Indistinguishable
I cried -
Poor dead pile of baby bones...

And then I turned into a mermaid
And then I turned into a mermaid
And then I turned into a mermaid

At the bottom of the swimming pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment