Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Plastic Cyborg Samurai Arm Guard



So far, I have made my forearm protection and am in the midst of making my facial gear... I am afraid this art costume is only going to be somewhat referential to the look and feel of the 16th century Samurai warrior, as it's got a bit of a sci-fi feel to it now, but that doesn't bother me. In fact, I really like where it's going. I'm planning on a helmet, shoulder gear, shin guards to match the arm guards and possibly some type of transparent open shoe. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I think it will be neat.

My philosophical thoughts on this idea reference the elemental connotations of water among the other of the natural elements, fire, earth and air. In astrology the 4 elements are symbolic of personality traits in people born under that sign. Water is deep, nurturing, life-giving, and associated with emotional motivation. While placid and serene on a sunny day, it can get stirred up in a storm, rushing violently until it finds it's level. It can become frozen and hardened, nigh unmeltable. It can douse and even drown those who get caught up in it's torrents. But like the earth element, it's predictable in many ways. You can always expect water to confine to the laws of gravity.

Being born under this sign, I would like to use the water bottle to explore how we armor our sensitive and fluid compositions, how we canteen our nurturing natures to aid the war-weary, and how we sometimes bottle a torrential flood until the pressure makes us swell and even sometimes burst.

No comments:

Post a Comment