Thursday, October 1, 2009

Derby City Custom Drums

I visited my friend Adam's crazy drum-making shop beaneath his carriage house apartment somewhere close to Sunergos coffee. He apent some time abroad in Australia in a drum-making workshop and is now back in Louisville making some very peculiar and fantastic things. Totally at home amongst the sawdust and polyurythane, I took a round about his shop where he showed me his frankenstein machine - a lathe motor turned on it's side with various clamps and welded steel arms attached and a small router hung firmly at a 45 degree angle to the whole device. "What's is for?" I asked, and he explained to me his process. A pile of old bourbon barrel timbers from a local brewery, nearing disposal had been collected for his current drum making project. His custom-made drums, fashioned from these recycled bourbon barrel planks and his own brass hardware, were some of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. He's made them also from reclaimed cherry and other woods. I got to see the whole collection. I was floored by the craftsmanship. And this is happening right here in Louisville.

You too could have a set of Derby City Custum Drums.

No comments:

Post a Comment